Friday, November 19, 2010

The Real Day 25

I went out to do a little shopping today.  All the men over here hold hands and shit, snuggle up with each other.  I giggle to myself, because in the US, they would be classified as gay.  I am not giggling because I'm homophobic, it just is funny because would not be "manly" for me to hold hands with my friends.

I bought a DVD player that has surround sound speakers.  I get it all hooked up, speaker wires ran, popped some popcorn, fired up a DVD, and before the intro credits were done, the unit popped and started smoking.  I cannot even explain how pissed I was.  So I had to box all that shit back up to return it to the store.  It said 1 year warranty on the tag, so I hope I can return it.  I will be taking an Arabic speaking person (Shadi) with me in case I have any troubles.  This guy is slick, he will argue and raise hell until he gets what he wants.  Plus, it was his DVD that I was watching when the unit blew up.  Thank God the movies he has are bootlegs for 1 JD.  The bootleggers just scan the DVD case, copy the DVD, and resell the burned DVD for 1 JD.  Neat little system, and it is all legal.  I can get a lot of bootlegged software like AutoCAD 2010, Adobe CS4 Package, etc. all for 1 JD.

Yesterday we went to Jerash.  They have ruins of an old Roman City recently dug out of the sand.  I have posted the photos up on my Facebook page for your viewing pleasure.



 The Romans were great architects.  These pillars above served two purposes.  I found out that in the joints of the round columns, they added sheets of lead.  This would prevent them from falling over during an earthquake.  Not only that, the blocks on top of the columns are hollow.  So when they start to shake, it sounds like church bells ringing, to notify the city people to stay away from tall structures.  I am sorry, but the Romans did some cool ass shit back in the 2nd Century AD.

No comments:

Post a Comment